Before you get started, here are a few important points to keep in mind while reading Shadows in the West.
- Shadows in the West is an AU Rokugan. Togashi and Hantei have swapped places, historically. What results is a much different Rokugan, with more of a focus on individual enlightenment but its own set of problems. Similar, but different, points of tension and friction exist between clans and that of the spirits and supernatural. (Read more about the Togashi Empire here)
- The veil between humans and spirits is thinner, so expect an added layer of Ghibli and Nioh weirdness.
- The Dragon Clan has been replaced by the Owl Clan. Most of the families have stayed the same, but some are different.
- The Unicorn Clan is still known as the Ki-Rin Clan.
- LGBT characters and themes exist and it is a non-issue.
- The logs will be NSFW at times, mostly in the realm of violence and the occasional lewd flower metaphor.
- This campaign did not begin as something for public consumption, but we have done our best to retroactively fit the logs to this purpose.
- Some characters are not present in some sections due to the players’ absence. We have written in IC reasons for their absences as best we are able.
- Much of the first chapter is comprised of pre-existing modules combined with homebrew, as Evalli wanted to ease us in with some practice with the system first. What follows after is mainly homebrew with inspiration, at times, drawn from various sources.
- We highly recommend you skip the prologue and start your reading at the beginning of Chapter 1: A Lion Wedding if you are new to Shadows in the West. While the first two story arcs of the prologue are relevant to the campaign, they also marked most of our players’ first venture into L5R. A Lion Wedding is the point at which we begin to delve into the main plot, as well as when everyone clicks with their characters.
Thank you to all of you who have expressed interest in our characters and their adventures – we hope you enjoy!
Any questions or concerns can be pointed at @evalli!